The Trucking News You Need. Hot Topics content contributed to United Contractors by Associate Committee members.
ELECTRONIC LOGGING DEVICES (ELD’S)
The new Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate begins on January 1, 2024. Even if you are INTRASTATE (California Only), you must comply with this mandate. You MUST have an ELD device in every one of your commercial vehicles by the end of this month. The CA ELD mandate encompasses several key requirements, including:
- ELD Installation: All commercial vehicles operating within California’s intrastate boundaries will be required to have ELDs installed and functioning properly.
- Data Transfer: ELDs must be capable of transferring data seamlessly to law enforcement authorities during inspections.
The proposed regulatory language mirrors the federal language for the most part. The proposal would retain the three exemptions from ELD use:
- The driver is operating a commercial motor vehicle in a manner requiring completion of a (record-of-duty status) on not more than eight days within any (rolling) 30-day period.
- The driver is in a driveaway-towaway operation, as defined in Section 303 of the Vehicle Code, in which the vehicle being driven is part of the shipment being delivered.
- The vehicle being driven was manufactured before model year 2000, as reflected in the vehicle identification number and as shown on the vehicle’s registration.
To read more on this mandate, please visit the California Highway Patrol (CHP) website: Intrastate Electronic Logging Devices (ca.gov)
Contributor: Teresa Dias, Peterson Trucks